Sunday, August 29, 2010

State Fair

This weekend, I volunteered at the State Fair. Kurt and I weren't happy the fair was brought to GI, but we decided we need to support it now that it is here. I was scheduled to work 9:00-1:00 both days this weekend.

I arrived yesterday around 7:45 and was put to work right away greeting visitors at the main gate. Around 9:00, I was moved over to the North gate. That is the gate where the shuttle buses were dropping off riders. My day went from good to not-so-good quickly. I was the only volunteer at that gate to greet the bus loads. I had to handout books, go get more books when I ran out, answer the visitors questions, get yelled at by several riders that were upset over the shuttles not being fast enough and the admission line being too long. Around 2:30, I headed to the volunteer office as I hadn't had any breaks or water all morning. My face was completely sunburned because I hadn't brought a hat or suntan lotion, knowing that I was going to be working in the office per the paperwork I had received. The office said that they would send other volunteers out to the gate and I could leave for the day at that point.

Today was much better for volunteering. I got to the fair around 8:15 and got to work in the office. I checked in volunteers and made sure to keep plenty of cold water on hand for the volunteers. Kurt walked around the fair until I was done and then we walked around together. I still had my volunteer t-shirt on, so I got a lot of questions and comments while we walked around. The comments today were all good ones though. I talked to a co-worker and she said the shuttle only took 25 minutes today.

Next week, I will work at the fair on Thursday. We both will work the fair on Saturday and Sunday.

If you haven't come out for the fair yet, please do. It is A Grand Affair!

1 Comments:

At 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Naughty naughty getting sunburnt. I always tell Michael off when he forgets his hat and sunscreen. At least you're not riddled with ticks like we are. We went to an archery park for a birthday party and I'm the only one that doesn't have any ticks-that I've found so far, anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home