Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Darn rodent

That stupid groundhog saw his shadow, so we will have 6 more weeks of winter. At least we are getting a break from the snow and cold for a little while.

Have you ever heard of gout? It is a painful joint problem that is much like severe arthritis. Due to a blood pressure medicine I take, I now get occasional flare ups. The first one was very severe and came on quick. I thought I had broken my toe because it was red, swollen, and very painful. My doctor was too busy to see me, so I went to Kurt's doctor as they work in the same clinic. Kurt's doctor saw me and knew right away that my toe wasn't broken and that I was actually in an acute gout attack. She gave me some meds that helped and said to keep a stash in the house at all times for any future attacks. I saw my doctor a few weeks later and she tested for gout and found out that is what I have. She didn't want to change my blood pressure meds and so she added a med that would help prevent the gout from coming back. I have had a few minor flare ups, but nothing like the first time. I couldn't walk or even put a sock on my foot for a few days back then. Sunday, I felt like another attack was coming back but I didn't get the pills out quick enough. By the middle of Sunday night, I knew I was going to have problems. I got up and took my meds in the middle of the night. Last night was really painful to the point I had to kick the cover off of my foot. I called the doctor today, and she gave me a more powerful med, so we will see how that goes. If it doesn't calm it down by Friday morning, I have to go in and have a shot in the joint. That doesn't sound pleasurable so I am hoping the new med works quickly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home