Saturday, February 09, 2008

Caucus process

Are you confused about the Democratic caucus system? Well, so am I and I just attended it. The caucus started with a statement read from both candidates. Then we were told to stand in a group by our precinct numbers. From there we were to appoint a precinct leader and secretary. Then we broke our precinct group into two groups, one for Hillary and one for Obama. We had to appoint one person to speak to the other group to convince them why they should vote for our candidate and vice versa. No one changed their minds after the speech, so they figured out the percentages for each candidate. My example is this. I am in precinct 5 and we had 19 people in our precinct that participated. Hillary had 11 supporters and Obama had 8 supporters. At the county caucus, which will be held this summer, our precinct gets to have 9 participants. This means 5 Hillary supporters and 4 Obama supporters for our precinct. My neighbor and I are going to be two of the supporters going to the county caucus. From there, who knows what will happen at the state level. It is so confusing, but it was also fun getting to meet neighbors. Kurt went along and had a good time watching the debating going on in the room.

2 Comments:

At 8:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can understand why you're confused-you're a democrat! :) Have fun debating.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Tammy said...

Greg went to the caucus today at the courthouse in York. He enjoyed the process and being a part of it. He said they only expected about 50 people, but 120 showed up. There are more of us in York County than I thought... :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home